Sunday, November 4, 2012

Blonde Moments


Finn met three blondes within a weeks period of time. One of those blondes, unfortunately enough, was me. 

After bleaching my hair, I was able to keep the morphing shade of platinum blonde, blonde-yellow, orange, and brass red for about an hour before quickly pulling the reigns on the circus act and re-dying my hair a dark red. I would have made my hair the light brown, if I hadn't ran a test strand and found out the brown would only cover so much. The blonde had too drastic of color variations from the bottom up. It was, as you can see, a difficult transition to take a photo of. In the picture the color looks more like a light orange more than anything else, but, trust me, it wasn't. 

Normally, I'm blessed with the eye of foresight, so, generally speaking, I always have back-up plans in case something fails. And, in my defense, I did have a back-up plan. I just forgot to buy the dye for it. Back-up Plan A: impossible. So I quickly made a Plan B. Seeing as I am, by nature, possessed with amazing stealth, I crept in to my mother's bedroom and took the dark hair dye she had on the sink (as sneaky as I am, I still told her). It ended up not turning out very dark and there are still some visible blonde streaks through the red, but overall I'm happy with it. No more yellow-top.
 
Even though bleaching works for a lot of girls, I'm just not one of them. I thought I could speed up the process of dying my hair a light brown, it turns out that I couldn't. I'll just have to take the patient route and wait until my natural hair color grows back. Until then, say hello to light red hair again.


On to more important matters, Finn met two other blondes this week:

Bailey (skinny, hyper girl on the left) and Cooper (fat, lumpy boy on the right)

Bailey is a sweet, energetic, yellow Labrador mix who can be crazy protective of her owner and then can just as easily flip a switch and drool her love all over your lap. Cooper on the other hand is a lumpy, awesome, ole Lab who could never pass up an opportunity to give a stranger a kiss or, at the very least, show his intent to try in an adorable hop that's far from reaching a foot off the ground. 

Upon entering, Bailey had been crated up for the sake of the house remaining intact being that that little girl is criminally insane. She was adopted by my best friend only a few weeks earlier than, what I call, Finn's 'gotchya' date. The Bay-bay was deemed by her original owners to be "too hyper" and thus was surrendered to the local SPCA. I believe this happened on multiple occasions, but I'm not savvy on the details (rather, my brain isn't up to par). Regardless, Laurel (friend-lady) is working wonders with her. She's already gaining weight and starting to look much healthier than she first was when initially adopted.

When Bailey was released from her temporary confinement, her hair, as expected, was standing on end in 'protect and defend' mode. She met me once when she was first adopted, but it had been a while since then so I was looking to see that she didn't remember me. Still, she showed little interest in me and headed straight for Finn. 

As Finn logic rules, the oncoming threat meant immediate retreat for him, yet he showed very obvious signs of curiosity and decided to hold his ground. Until Bailey barked at him. Maybe she was testing him to see if he'd bite back, I can't say for sure, but the minute he turned from her and tried to hide, Bailey left him alone and began her track of A.D.D. Every now and again, she'd sniff him out, making him only slightly uncomfortably shy, before she was off in la-la land, pacing the house back and forth. 

Cooper on the other hand made Finn's transition easier. He inspected the little guy quietly, touched noses and walked a small distance from Finn's new found safe-spot before looking back as if in askance "are you coming?". A sweet sentiment that Finn never followed. 

Finn is far from a lost cause though. Given time, he became so curious about what 'normal' (I use that word loosely) dogs do that he came bounding in to the room they were in before trotting back out in a flurry when both dogs caught sight of him and stampeded over. 

While the progress made in the house was cute and had me laughing, the best progress was made when they were all outside. Cooper and Bailey are pretty used to playing with one another, but these two are new territory to Finn. He had played with a dog-pal before at his foster home, but these guys were a fresh experience and he was treading carefully. 

At first, he wouldn't budge. Finn had found a companion in a loner tree in the backyard, watching on as Coops-the-poops and the Cray-Bay played. Every now and again I'd attempt to get him pumped for playing, but he would just give me that helpless puppy stare before pulling the leash tighter to get closer to the tree and farther from me. 

Can't say I blamed him, as I was the sole purpose for his distress. 

Fingers slowly became numb from the cold wind, forcing mittens and the re-appearance of shark-hat. In small, feeble tries to have Finn join the fun, the object of Bailey's affections, the tennis ball, was tossed within his reach. The first time, he sniffed it. That's it. The second try, he sniffed it and was attempting to bite it when he stopped halfway through the descent to gaze at me, his eyes full-well asking "Can I? Should I? Mom, what do I do?" as if I had all the answers about being a dog. Not taking that in personal offense, I smiled and encouraged him to get the ball. He half-heartedly bit it and then promptly dropped it, giving up his chance to Cooper who was more than grateful to receive.

In Bailey fashion, she darted straight for Cooper to wrestle the tennis ball back. And thus Finn's curiosity grew, resulting in:



Aw...big step for Stumps...who was then ignored for continuous play between the yellow fellows. Bailey, as always, reigning victorious.


(win!)

Meanwhile, my picturesque boy (hair blowing in the wind and all) sat by the tree, burning holes in to the back of my head with pitiful laser gazes consistently sent my way. 

 

In the end, all things considered, I'd say that was one of the most successful days Finn has had as of yet. Upon entering a new house and meeting new dogs, his ears never fell against his head in fear. Even at home, he still has his moments, but this whole time he was too busy watching the 'big kids' play and inadvertently teach him things that seemed foreign.

And what great 'kids' to learn from. Two goof balls filled with lots of love are sure to be life-long friends of Finn's once we are able to acquaint them further. 




Em's story here, in case you still haven't read it:
http://animalsmakeushuman28.blogspot.com/2012/08/adventures-in-fostering-day-1.html

No comments:

Post a Comment